How Cold Weather Affects Your Mobile Phone: Your phone is no exception! As the weather turns bitterly cold, keep in mind that spending too much time outside can degrade the functionality of your smartphone or tablet. Continue reading to learn more about how cold weather affects your phone and how to keep it safe over the winter.
Why Does Cold Weather Affect Your Phone?
iPhones should be stored at temperatures ranging from 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, according to Apple. Your device’s battery life may be limited, touchscreen difficulties may occur, and charging may be difficult if it’s outside of that working temperature range. In extreme instances, the device may completely shut down.
If your equipment exhibits the aforementioned symptoms during the winter, rest assured that there is a scientific explanation for its behavior. Lithium-ion batteries, which are significantly more sensitive than alkaline batteries, are used in the majority of current smartphones. Chemical reactions within lithium-ion batteries slow down or halt completely when exposed to freezing temperatures.
As a result, the battery drains far less current than is required to keep the item running. Because the phone mistook the drop in current for your device running out of charge, it began to slow down performance, reduce battery life, and eventually shut down your device.
Fortunately, the problems brought on by the cold are only temporary. The device’s performance returns to normal once the lithium-ion battery warms up and reaches its optimal operating temperature.
Tips for Keeping Your Phone Warm in the Winter
- While the impacts of cold weather on your smartphone are only temporary, the JNA Phone Repair staff strives to keep devices running at peak performance at all times. Use these strategies to keep your phone running smoothly throughout the winter.
- Wait until you’re within the recommended operating temperatures before charging and restarting your device.
- Restarting the device right after it shuts down abruptly may cause further damage to the battery.
- Never leave your phone in the car overnight or for an extended period of time.
- Always have a backup power source on hand, especially if you’re driving on ice roads.
- Keep your phone in your bag or handbag to protect it from the elements.
- Keep the device in your trouser or coat pocket if at all possible. The device can be helped to stay within its operational range by your body heat.
- Use a phone case that is insulated and provides heat protection.
- If you’re going to be outside in the cold for an extended amount of time, turn off your phone.
Contact your local JNA Phone Repair for more information on how cold weather affects your phone and recommendations on how to keep it safe. Our professionals are well-versed in troubleshooting and can assist you in determining whether your gadget is being harmed by the weather or if anything else is to blame.
Our techs are all certified and we only use the best quality parts.
- Reasons Why Quality Phone Repair Matters
- Cell Phone Maintenance: How to Keep Your Cell Phone in Great Condition
- Reasons Why You Should Consider A Phone Battery Replacement
- What Can You Do to Extend iPhone’s Battery Life?
- Most Common iPhone Issues and Solutions
- Here Are Reasons Why iPhone Not Charging